The most interesting news story that I found today is a real rip snorter! Apparently, we are on track to having more wild pigs than people in Saskatchewan – soon!
There were a few things noted in this story that I found particularly interesting.
- Wild pigs were DELIBERATELY brought into Saskatchewan and Alberta in the 1990s to help farmers to diversify.
- Some of the wild pigs brought to Saskatchewan escaped captivity and spread across our province which is rich with their natural habitat.
- Saskatchewan has more than half of the 56,000 wild pigs in Canada
- Wild pigs are prolific and destructive – rooting up crops, destroying the natural habitat of endangered species, and leaving a trail of pig 💩.
- Wild pigs are highly intelligent.
- Hunting wild pigs is ineffective at controlling them as they quickly learn how to evade their hunters.
- The only way to control the wild pig population is by encouraging the reporting of sightings, trapping entire groups of wild pigs, and with natural predators such as wolves and coyotes.
I don’t know who these ‘people’ were that brought wild pigs into Saskatchewan. I assume it was our government’s Department of Agriculture. Bring a prolific, invasive, destructive species into a province which is one big natural habitat for such creatures. What could go wrong? I bet those ‘people’ thought they were the most intelligent creatures in our province until the wild pigs arrived and took over. 🤔
That’s my News and Views of the day. I may be back soon to report on the importation of wolves and coyotes to our province. 👍
Take care and have a great day! 💞