Being at a loss for anything newsworthy today, I flashed back to the news headlines of 1955. See here.
1955 was a very prolific year, news wise. According to The People’s History website, these were some of the top headlines.
- The St. Laurence Seaway opens
- Rosa Parks is arrested for refusing to give up her bus seat for a white passenger
- The first McDonald’s was erected
- TV dinners, featuring fish sticks, went to market
- James Dean killed in auto accident in California
- Coca Cola, previously available in bottles only, was now sold in cans
- The average minimum wage in the USA reached $1.00 per hour
- 7 out of 10 US families owned a car
- USS Nautilus, the first nuclear powered submarine, was launched
- The original Salk polio vaccine was introduced
- The Mickey Mouse Club debuted
- California Disneyland opened
- The Baghdad Pact was formed to unite the Middle East
- The Warsaw Pact was formed to unite eight Communist countries
- USA begins involvement in the Vietnam conflict
- Great Britain declared a State of Emergency due to National Rail Strike
- Great Britain also affected by winter storms causing road and rail problems for food and medical supplies deliveries
- Inventions of 1955: Pocket transistor radios, atomically generated power, Hovercraft, Lego, Velcro, polyurethane
1955 saw Rock and Roll hit a frenetic pace with the likes of Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, and the Platters. Families gathered around their television sets to watch the debut of shows like Gunsmoke, Lassie, and The Lone Ranger. Theatres were packed for the showing of hits such as Oklahoma, Rebel Without a Cause, To Catch a Thief, and The Seven Year Itch.
1955 celebrated the arrival of Whoopi Goldberg, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Bruce Willis, Kris Jenner and Yours Truly. That is right, my mother gave birth to me in July 1955 as the parish priest filled the hospital with his live and apparently very loud rendition of Bill Haley’s ‘Rock Around The Clock’ – the Number One hit in the USA at the time.
That’s it for today, folks!
Take care and have a great evening! 💞