While I am sharing random ‘pieces of my mind’ this is probably as good a time as ever to share some practical advice I have picked up along the way.
I was chatting with fellow blogger John and I mentioned that French onion soup is good for flushing out kidney stones. (I have been making/eating it regularly since 2012 and haven’t had a kidney stone problem since 2012, Yay!) Since this home remedy was news to him, I thought I would share a few more of my home health tips.
- While I swear by onion soup for kidney stones, my brother-in-law’s goto is a glass of Coke a day. That stuff dissolves anything so there is some logic to this – and it works for him. 🤷
- Popsicles or Freezies for a mild fever. I have used ice cream in a pinch. (NB: If you have grandkids, they may develop a chronic cough when they visit – especially if your goto is their favourite ice cream bar)
- Ginger ale for a tummy upset
- Cake with icing for constipation. Just the icing works. I had granddaughter Maddy try it one time and she pooped every time she had cake for the next three years. 😂
- Yogurt for a sore throat – My doctor actually recommended that for my son Mark when he was having recurring throat infections and it worked!
- Milkshakes for weight gain. It worked – but not for my son. He wouldn’t touch them. After trying a dozen different flavours, I had to give up. My husband was gaining too much weight drinking the milkshakes my son wouldn’t touch.
- 1/4 tsp of ginger in turkey stuffing to prevent flatulence. My grandmother-in-law taught me this one. I don’t know why turkey stuffing would make one flatulent but I do my part to prevent it. 💨
- Lemon and baking soda to soften foot callouses – DO NOT DRINK. I pour about 1/2 cup of lemon juice in a basin of warm water. My husband soaks his feet for five minutes and adds about 1/2 cup of baking soda and soaks his feet for another ten minutes. I dry his feet and massage with lotion. He has to wear socks for the rest of the evening but it works like a darn. (We only use the lemon and baking soda every third night – in between we use Dr. Teals Epson salts or CBD bath salts). His callouses were horrid and a few months in, they are virtually gone
- And last but not least! Pumpkin for doggy diarrhea – I add a tablespoon to Kat’s kibble once a day and it straightens her out in no time!
Note!!! Obviously, I am not a medical professional and would only suggest any home remedy to cure or prevent mild health upsets! For any serious health issue or concern for myself, my family, or my pet – we see our family doctor (or vet). I am also totally PRO vaccine (all vaccines) – for people and pets alike!
That is it for home health tips for today. If you have any that you use, I would love to hear about them in the comment section!
Take care and have a great rest of the day. 💞