Last Monday, Dwight from our Volley fitness group suggested that we each commit to focussing on one aspect of our fitness journey for each week. It was a great idea, and one we eagerly embraced.
For myself, I committed to getting more fresh air last week and to “giving it my all” while engaging in my workouts (or doing anything 🤗) this week. And… continuing to get a good dose of fresh air each day. 🌞
It was going great! Then yesterday, Dan and I decided to get my fresh air by taking Molly to the neighbourhood dog park. Great idea, poor execution.
While, Molly raced around the open field with a little Shiba Inu, Dan and I chatted with his human. And I took my eye of the ball – or rather the balls of fur racing around us. The little dog ran between us, with Molly right behind. I never saw what hit me. I went flying and landed face down on the frozen ground.
Fortunately, I was bundled up for winter and I didn’t hit the ground face first. But, I did twist my left arm going down and managed to pull something in my shoulder in the process. I got up, none the worse for wear, except for the excruciating pain in my left arm and shoulder.
The pain is still there and as excruciating as ever. Nothing is broken, and the shoulder is not dislocated. I don’t even have a bruise or much swelling. But there is no denying the pain.
There is no way that I am heading out on the snow and ice to get my fresh air today. Nor am I doing any Zumba or lifting any weights.
But despite the pain, I am staying on track
– By keeping a positive mindset. This is just a set back, not the end of my fitness journey.
– By moving (as much as I can). Every movement causes pain, but walking around, moving on my Yoga ball, and gentle side to side motion is doable. Anything to keep the circulation going and the adrenaline pumping – even a little bit.
– By showing my body some love and patience with Aspirin, CBD cream, a warm Epsom salt bath, and some cozy pjs.
– By exercising my mind (reading a good book and playing a mind game on my phone).
– By skipping the pity party and accepting the challenge. There’s nothing like a good challenge to help us dig deep and find out what we are really made of. 😁
So, that’s where I am at today. Take care and have a great day! 💞🌞