It is funny how we tend to judge people, objects, experiences, and ‘things’ in our life in absolutes – right or wrong, good or bad. Our opinions can change from one day to the next, and yet we still tend to judge in absolutes.
Today, I was thinking about the internet. Some days I think the internet is a horrid invention. (Often, I feel that way about most technology – but that could be just me. 🙄). But the internet can be such a bad, depressing, part of my life. I turn on the computer and I am faced with an overwhelming amount of news (too much of it bad). I am drawn to the Weather Network, which can be seriously depressing when one lives in Saskatchewan. Then I move on to the local newspaper. There is seldom anything of note here, except that from comments it appears that we have a serious abundance of miserable people around here. From there, I am generally off to Facebook to scan the recent posts and unfollow a few ‘friends’. And finally… I waste time on games that I seldom , if ever, win. Now I am ready to swear off the internet and move on to my day – none the better for the hour that I just wasted. 🥴
- But… Here’s the thing! The internet is nothing short of a modern miracle.
- I can do my banking in the comfort of my own home. 😊
- I can shop for impossible to find items at affordable prices. 🤗
- I can connect with total strangers around the world, and find commonalities with them on WordPress. 😊
- I can touch base with my siblings, exchange photos of grandkids, and swap questionable humor.🤗
- I can Google source information on anything from recipes, to canine health issues, to gardening tips. 😊
- I can go to Google Earth and check out fascinating locations, near and far. 🤗
- I can go to YouTube and learn ANYTHING from an exercise routine, to how to diagnose an issue with a vehicle (and possibly find a simple fix), to how to change printer ink cartridges (never a simple fix), to how to change the springs in a garage door opener. 😊
- I can download and read a book, watch a movie, or listen to every genre of music
- And… I can even even check the news, weather, or social media – when or if I particularly want to. 🤗
- The positives and possibilities are endless!
Obviously, the good outweighs the bad, but it is all about how one looks at it. The internet is a tool, and just like any tool, it is all about how you use it. 🙂
That’s it for today. Take care and have a great rest of the day! 💞